Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Camping Trip


A group of 10th (and a few 9th) grade students were going on a 3 day camping trip to Kok-Say (a conservation area in south Kazakhstan) and I was fortunate enough to be one of the teachers to receive an invitation. Prior to grade 11 students take their science subjects in Russian or Kazakh, so I hadn't taught any of these students before. I knew a few from basketball, and had exchanged "good days" with many of them dozens of times in the corridors, but 3 days of camping was an incredible opportunity to get out of the big city (which is basically a village), explore some beautiful Kazakh nature, and best of all get to know an amazing, thoughtful, and inspiring group of students eager to get to know me and teach me more about Kazakhstan.

We arrived on a beautiful morning and staked our claim to a beautiful campground next to a river which would serve as our sink, bathtub, and source of drinking water for the next 3 days. Our heavy backpacks went down, our tents went up, and in no time at all this patch of land was starting to look a lot like a relaxing place to call home.



 

Student's improvising with the clothing racks

And with a place to dry their shoes

What's this photo Trev? Why did you take a photo of such a pathetic tent?
That's my pathetic tent. 

This is not how I slept. This is how I reached into my tent to grab things from my tent. It also represents a lesson that I unfortunately didn't learn until after the trip; If there's an embarrassing photo opportunity, count on this group of students to capture it.


By the time we finished colonizing and building our tent community it was time for lunch. I've never seen such a willing and cooperative group of people prepare food. Kazakh people are the absolute masters of hospitality and food preparation. And being in the middle of the wilderness is no excuse for meals to be any less awesome. 

Food prep always began with a large number of students helping to slice up fresh vegetables for salad.

Many hands make light work

Mixing veggies for salad

This world history teacher's name is Lubov' Zhantayevna, which literally means love. She's such a kind teacher and an amazing chef! If I were stranded on a deserted island and could only choose one person to join me to help survive I would choose her

The boy in this photo was the only boy I saw helping consistently with food prep. Kazakh students reading this, he is the one you should choose to be your husband. In fact, if I could only choose one more person to join me in trying to survive a deserted island I would choose him. 

Family lunch :)

Plov (rice dish) and Kazakhstan's favourite salad

After lunch we set out for a hike. The weather was looking a little rainy so we put on our "rain coats" which is a euphemism for a plastic bag that is wayyy too big. 


Me trying not to laugh at the students drowning in their rain coats

The rain mostly stayed away and the hike offered a variety of scenery, with each view even more stunning than the last. The air was fresh, spirits were high, and with our plov fuelled bodies we were all set for what ended up being about a 4 hour hike. 


This river followed us everywhere on our hike, providing much needed hydration

Did I mention the scenery was nice?

It was not easy, but it was beautiful

We took lots of rest stops to sit and enjoy the view. These next four photos were taken during the same rest stop and really demonstrated the wide range of beautiful photo opportunities.




This student is a superstar on the guitar. He started learning 1 year ago (because he promised a girl in his class he would learn for her, adorable right?) and his guitar skills made our dinners and camp fires even more enjoyable. Give me a third person to join my deserted island survival challenge and I'll choose Mako. 

You're not in Kazakhstan if someone isn't taking a selfie every few minutes

The reward waiting at the end of the hike (as if the hike itself wasn't amazing) was a waterfall. 


We made it!

The reward waiting for us back at camp (after some more dinner prep by the most helpful students ever, and the teacher whose name means love) was dinner! 



I can't imagine why Ayazhan wasn't super hungry at dinner. Perhaps it was all the snacking she was doing during dinner prep?

My favourite part of Kazakh culture is that everyone shares everything. Students would just go to their tent and take their bedroll and offer it up for anyone and everyone to sit on.

Family dinner :)

Not bad for a meal out in the wilderness

Every student would take their dishes over to the river to clean them after dinner without being told. Well done Kazakh parents. 


Of the three days of camping the second day was my favourite. Our hike was about 8 hours including stopping for lunch half way and a LOT of photos! The entire day was one continuous dialogue as I answered lots of imaginative questions about myself and my culture, and students shared about themselves and their culture with me. Being outside of the classroom really created a more relaxed and comfortable environment for the students to unleash their quick wit and sense of humour. I first met a few students from this class through basketball (I can dunk, which basically makes me a basketball god in their eyes) and one of the girls said she hated basketball. I jokingly said "that's ok. But you're wrong". A few minutes later she said her passion was dancing. Revisiting the memories of dancing at Kazakh weddings I said "oh, I do not like dancing". She looked at me and said "that's ok. But you're wrong'. Well played. 



It was tiring but every time you looked at what's ahead you would feel motivated to keep walking towards it







Even when we stopped for breaks knowing that we had much further to go we could capture scenic photos and cherishable memories 


Almost there!


Finally we made it, and I agree with the student in the photo, this would make a great picture


What I don't agree with, is that going for a swim would be a good idea. If you can see snow in the same photo as people swimming, then those people are crazy

Aknur was the student who approached me and asked me to join their camping trip. I said thanks but I have to teach during those days. Next time I saw him he and his teacher had spoken to the principal and determined another teacher can cover my lessons while I go camping. Thank you for the persistence Aknur!

It was Sayazhan's idea to tell Aknur to invite me camping. Thank you Saya for your enthusiasm for biology and for being such an awesome part of this trip!


Tima, the first student to beat me at chess on this trip. Future Grand Master


Two basketball stars here. Kazakh Steph Curry (left, Bekzhan) and whichever NBA player has the most energy (right, Nursultan)

 Daniyal and Medet (his name literally means to help others, and he certainly lives up to that name. He can also have a spot on my deserted island.)

Kama (left) is a superb leader among this group. She was dealer and pace keeper for many epic games of uno and the narrator for mafia (I was not mafia students, why did you sentence me to death!). Dayana (right) will be heading on a 1 year exchange to USA next year, and I couldn't think of a better student to educate us ignorant North Americans about how amazing the people of Kazakhstan are.

Too many goofs to comment


Some of the grade 9 representatives. The future of Kazakhstan is very bright!


If I was allowed to choose just 30 more people to help me survive on my deserted island, it'd be this group. So my deserted island is turning into more of a metropolis? Well, its my imaginary deserted island, and I think the cooperation, optimism and teamwork skills of these teachers and student will help make it a paradise. 

So at the end of our 8 hour hike I took a 30 second rest, which was 29 seconds too long if I wanted to avoid this moment being captured on a student's camera.


The final day of camping didn't involve any hiking. Lots of uno, reading, chess, cards, a few naps, and eventually packing up our tents to return to civilization (and wifi!).


The bus we rode back from camping was older than Kazakhstan

But a 90 year old bus couldn't stop us from playing games and sharing some more laughs 

Or for some, taking a nap

Across the valley is Kyrgyzstan. No, that's not a typo, Kyrgyzstan is a real country, and I almost illegally walked into it. 


I'm a pretty optimistic person, and a little prone to exaggeration. I always try to see the best in all situations and all people. I could have dinner with Cruella Deville and afterwards talk about her passion for Dalmatians. But I mean it wholeheartedly when I say that this camping trip was another example of how I continue to be absolutely astounded by the kindness and inclusiveness of students at my school. I've never met a group of people so receptive and excited about someone taking an interest in their country and culture, and who can find happiness in everyday activities and a genuine sense of joy in helping others. All my students, such as those I got to know on this camping trip, are truly a highlight of my experience in Kazakhstan.

2 comments:

  1. AS always Trev, thanks so much for sharing this with us. The scenery is amazing and it sounds like you had a great time. What a wonderful year you have had!

    All the best to you in what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome entry dude. Your blog always makes me a little jealous that you continued with international teaching while Cass and I decided to come back to Canada. What a cool experience this camping trip turned out to be... although I’d have probably died on one of the hikes.

    ReplyDelete